How to create a customized QR code
As mentioned above, you can create your customized QR code for free in a few easy steps. Let’s get into a little
bit more detail:
- Choose a QR code generator: To begin with, select a QR code generator that allows you to create QR
codes for free and is easy and simple to use. The more complicated the process, the higher the chances that
your QR code may end up looking nothing like QR codes at all. Choose Beaconstac’s
QR code generator that allows you to create customized QR codes for free with unlimited scans.
- Choose your color: For established businesses and brands, you already have a color palette. Select a
color from that palette and try it out now. With a little bit of trial and error, you will land on a color
that makes the QR code look aesthetically pleasing. For instance, this is a Website
QR code that was created for Beaconstac’s homepage.
- Choose a logo: Depending on what the QR code is intended for, you can choose a logo from the gallery.
For instance, if it is a YouTube QR code, you want to select the YouTube logo.
This lets the end user know what they can expect when they can scan the QR code. Alternatively, you can
upload your brand’s logo to reinforce your branding. You can add a compelling CTA like ‘Scan to play’ or
‘Scan to get offer’ on the print material instead.
- Generate and test your QR code: Click on ‘Generate QR code’ to start testing your QR code. This step
is crucial. You want to make sure your customized QR code is still scannable. If you choose a color that is
too light or play too much with the foreground and background colors, you might end up with a non-functional
QR code. Scan the QR code with your iPhone or Android smartphone to make
sure it is working.
- Download the customized QR code: Your QR code is now ready to be downloaded. Choose PNG or JPG if you
intend to use it online on a website or social media and EPS, SVG if you
want to use it on a flyer, poster, business card, brochure or
Designing a customized QR code: Do’s and Don’ts
- Use color: It is vital that you use color in your customized QR code to help it stand out from other QR
codes and pique the interest of consumers.
- Use a logo: A logo in high resolution lets the customer know exactly which brand it is or what to expect
when they scan the QR code.
- Change the shape of the eyes of the QR code: The eyes of the QR code are the 4 rectangular blocks present in
the QR code. You can change the shape of these to make them more rounded or oblong as per your desire.
Related: Learn more about the elements of a QR code
- Use a color gradient: To make your QR codes even more interesting, you can choose a color gradient in line
with your branding,
- Use too much color: Don’t go overboard with too many colors making the QR code unscannable beyond
recognition. If you find that your QR code is unscannable, scale back on the number of colors.
- Use a blurred logo: In this digital era, a blurred logo is unforgivable. Make sure your logo is crisp and
can be seen clearly.
- Create a QR code with too many design elements: Your QR codes are fully customizable but it does not mean
you should go about creating a QR code so unique that only you can tell that it is a QR code.
- Cover the eyes of the QR code: Place your logo in the center and never the cover the eyes of the QR code.
This will render your QR code unscannable.
- Make it too small: A customized QR code should be at least 2 cm x 2cm to remain scannable.
Related: How to create a QR code: The Basics
Where can you use a customized QR code?
You can use a customized QR code absolutely everywhere - online and offline. Here a few examples for you to get
- Facebook QR Code
- Location QR code
- QR codes on business cards
- vCard QR code
- QR codes on flyers
- URL QR codes
- Coupon QR code
- Website QR code
- Video QR code
Can a QR code be any color?
Yes, your QR codes can be any color that you want as long as they are scannable. The cardinal rule is to have a
light colored background with a dark-colored QR code.
Do QR codes need to be square?
Yes. A QR code needs to have a quiet zone and the shape cannot be changed from square to any other shape. Learn more about the QR code elements.
How do I print a QR code?
If you are creating your print material yourself, you can add the downloaded PNG file to the mockup, Then just
print the file as you would normally print.